New Delhi, Aug 29: With the majority of labour unions rejecting the government’s request of cancelling their proposed strike, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has called for an urgent meeting with Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Power Minister Piyush Goyal and Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya. The proposed strike on September 2 would evoke the involvement of majority of workers associated with the organized sector. The strike would bring banking and other sectors to a standstill across the nation. Also Read - Modi Confident Reforms in Past Months Will Boost Manufacture & Agriculture; Says Everyone to Get Vaccine Shots
The trade unions had earlier rejected the assurance given by Labour Minister Bandaru Dattatreya, who claimed that the government would address their ’12-point charter of demands’ shortly. However, the central trade unions (CTUs) clearly stated that the government has been testing their patience for the past one year as no action has been taken on the 12 demands raised by them in August 2015. The All India Trade Unions Congress (AITUC) and Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) affiliated to the left political force, replied to the letter of assurance of Dattatreya saying, “It is almost the same as that you circulated exactly one year ago, in the joint meeting with the CTUs held on August 26-27, on the eve of the general strike in 2015.” (ALSO READ: Bharat Bandh on September 2: Trade unions refuse to call off strike; banks, factories to remain shut) Also Read - Bihar Polls: Rahul Gandhi Accuses PM Modi of Not Talking About Problems Like Unemployment Faced by Our Country
The primary concern raised by the unions has been the inaction adopted by government over their demand to improve the facility of secured healthcare and restructuring the minimum wages as per the rising consumer inflation and commodity prices. The decision to call a strike intensified after the panel of Jaitley, Goyal and Dattatreya decided to meet RSS-affiliated Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh on August 16, but excluded other trade unions from the meet. Also Read - Save Bihar From 'Jungle Raj': PM Modi Slams Lalu's RJD at Darbhanga Rally
In anticipation of some positive response on the charter of demands, BMS is holding back its decision to join the stir on 2 September. Last year, BMS had opted out of ‘Bharat Bandh’ (2 September 2015) in view of the government’s assurances to work on nine out of the 12 demands.
CITU general secretary Tapan Sen told PTI that there is no question of calling back the strike. Similarly, Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC) vice president Ashok Singh also said that the decision to go ahead with strike stands. AITUC said, “AITUC along with other CTUs finds it difficult to accept your (government’s) request for reconsideration of call of protest strike on September 2, 2016. The decision to go on strike stands.”
(With Inputs from PTI)