Alwar (Rajasthan), July 22: The Alwar mob lynching victim Rakbar Khan, who was beaten up by an angry mob on the suspicion of him being a cow smuggler, had died before the cops took him to a hospital. An NDTV report said that the cops had beat him up after taking him in custody for nearly three hours 45 minutes and even stopped for refreshments before it was decided that grievously injured Rakbar should be taken to a hospital for treatment. Khan had already died by then!Also Read - SIT to be Set up to Re-investigate Pehlu Khan Lynching Case, Says Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot, Days After 6 Accused Walk Free

While one of the eyewitnesses told the news channel that he had seen police beating up Rakbar Khan in the vehicle, the police claimed that the mob lynching victim had died on the way to the hospital. While the incident was reported to the police at 12.41 AM, they reached the spot by 1.15 or 1.20 AM, and took Khan to the hospital only at 4 AM in the morning. All the while, the report said, Khan complained of the pain. Also Read - Dalit Blind Man Commits Suicide in Alwar Over Police Inaction in His Son's Lynching Case

On Saturday, a BJP leader had also claimed to have spoken to a few village people after the Alwar mob lynching incident who told him that Khan was not lynched but was rather beaten up by the cops after he was handed over to them. Speaking to India Today, the BJP MLA Gyandev Ahuja also said that the cops had beaten him up to “show off the public”. Also Read - Pehlu Khan Alwar Lynching: Six Accused Walk Free After Court Gives Them 'Benefit of Doubt' | 5 Points

“Rakbar Khan wasn’t lynched. He was beaten up by the cops to show off. I spoke to the villagers and they told me that he was conscious when they handed him over to the police. The police then beat him up,” he said.

Rakbar Khan (28) was on Friday lynched to death by suspected cow vigilantes in Rajasthan’s Alwar district. Three persons have so far been arrested in the Alwar lynching. Khan, a resident of Mewat in Rajasthan, was transporting the animals to his village along with another man when they were stopped by a group of villagers near Lalawandi village in Alwar. When the cops reached the site, they found Khan lying in mud.