New Delhi: In view of the Coronavirus pandemic, the government on Monday prohibited the entry of passengers from member countries of the European Union, the European Free Trade Association, Turkey and the United Kingdom to India from March 18 till 31. Also Read - Coronavirus: PM Modi Urges All to Share Technology-driven Solutions on 'MyGovIndia' to Tackle COVID-19
The Centre also announced that it will expand the minimum quarantine for people travelling to India from UAE, Qatar, Oman and Kuwait. Also Read - Don't Spread Information From Unreliable Sources: Suresh Raina on Coronavirus
Addressing a press conference here, Ministry of Health Joint Secretary Lav Aggarwal said, “As a precautionary measure, we are expanding compulsory quarantine for a minimum period of 14 days for passengers coming from or transiting through UAE, Qatar, Oman, and Kuwait.” He said the decision will come into effect from March 18, 1200, GMT, at the port of the first departure. Also Read - Coronavirus: Total COVID-19 Cases in India Touch 114; Over 5,000 Kept Under Surveillance, Says Health Ministry
“No airline shall board a passenger from these nations to India with effect from 1200 GMT on March 18, 2020. The airline shall enforce this at the port of initial departure,” he said.
Notably, these measures are temporary and will be reviewed subsequently.
The government also advised people to avoid non-essential travel while encouraging employees of private companies to work from home.
“Important measures including closing of schools, swimming pools, malls, allow employees to work from home,less use of public transport, 1 meter distance between people should be maintained till 31st March,” Lav Aggarwal added.
India has reported a total of 114 cases of Coronavirus infection so far.