New Delhi: Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) is on the boil again, this time over the suspension of three students for mourning the death of PhD scholar-turned-Hizbul terrorist Mannan Wani. Reacting to reports that 1,200 Kashmiri students have threatened to leave the varsity, AIMIM chief Asaduddin Owaisi said on Monday, “It is very unfortunate that students are wanting to leave midway. AMU VC, teachers, Home Minister Rajnath Singh and his ministry officials should solve this issue. I hope this will be taken seriously.” Also Read - Indian Armed Forces Get Emergency Financial Powers to Fight COVID-19 Surge
Kashmiri students of the AMU have threatened to quit the varsity en masse on October 17 if the sedition charges issued against the three students for also allegedly raising ‘anti-India’ slogans and holding a prayer meeting for Wani were not withdrawn. Twenty seven-year-old Wani, pursuing a PhD course in Allied Geology at the AMU, had quit the university and joined militant ranks in January this year. He was killed in an encounter at Shatgund village in Handwara area of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on October 11. Also Read - President Kovind Undergoes Successful Bypass Surgery At AIIMS, Confirms Rajnath Singh
“If this vilification does not stop, more than 1,200 Kashmiri students will leave for their homes in the Kashmir Valley on October 17 as the last option,”AMU students union former vice-president Sajjad Rathar said in a letter to AMU vice-chancellor. Rathar also termed the sedition charges as ‘vendetta’. “The option of holding Namaaz-e-Janaza (prayer meeting) in absentia was dropped after the AMU authorities did not give the permission. If no prayer meeting was held as confirmed by all official agencies, the slapping a case of sedition against three Kashmiri students is simply a vendetta, harassment and denial of justice,” he added. Also Read - Committed to Global Strategic Partnership: Rajnath, US Defence Secy Issue Joint Statement
After reports about funeral prayers for Wani, varsity Public Relation Officer told ANI that boys who had unlawfully assembled to carry out prayers had been dispersed. He added that nine of them had been issued the show-cause notice. Further, an inquiry committee had been set up to probe the matter.