Mumbai: Police have arrested two people in connection with the fire at Andheri’s ESIC Kamgar Hospital, reported ANI. Zone-10 (Mumbai) DCP Navinchandra Reddy said, “Supreme Construction Company’s site engineer and supervisor have been arrested in connection with the fire incident at ESIC Kamgar Hospital. Further investigation is underway.”

“Those arrested were identified as Nilesh Mehta and Nitin Kamble. They are supervisors of a construction company, which was overseeing the construction of a new building of the hospital,” a senior official said.

The duo was booked under IPC sections 304 A (causing death by negligence), 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others) and others.

It must be noted that while nine people lost their lives to Monday fire accident, the toll rose to 10 on Thursday. Another fire was reported on Wednesday evening as well. However, it was doused well in time, said reports. No casualties were reported from the second incident.

In Monday’s fire, nine people, including an infant, were reported dead. A total of 176 persons, including three firemen, were being treated in city hospitals as per a report from the Disaster Management Unit of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).

The incident led to a protest by hospital staff who alleged that the facilities were inadequate to deal with such a crisis.

According to reports, the fire was caused by a suspected short-circuit and was first noticed on the upper floors of the five-storied building with a glass facade in the Maharashtra Industrial Development Corporation (MIDC) area — the industrial hub in the north-western suburb — around 4.15 PM on December 17.

At least 12 fire tenders, 15 water tankers, and other specialised equipment were rushed to battle the blaze and those trapped were taken out via ladders from the third and fourth floors as the flames spread horizontally and vertically.

A leading portal quoted an official as saying that the hospital had failed to clear the fire safety test. Now, the hospital’s fire safety audit would be re-examined, claimed the report.

Reports later said a 20-year-old food-delivery boy saved ten lives from the Sunday fire. Sidhu Humanabade was passing by when he saw smoke billowing out from the upper floors of the ESIC Kamgar Hospital. He left his bike and asked the firemen if he could join them in the rescue operation.

After a nod from officials, Humanabade reached the fourth floor of the building with the help of fire brigade’s ladder and rescued some stranded patients and visitors. Braving the dense smoke that engulfed the area, Sidhu, who works for an online food aggregator, managed to bring out ten people to safety in two hours.

However, he himself choked on the smoke and was admitted at the nearby Seven Hills Hospital.