Amaravati, Feb 16: Seven workers died of asphyxiation after inhaling poisonous gas while cleaning a septic tank manually. The incident took place Andhra Pradesh’s Chittoor district on Friday. A total eight workers of the Sri Venkateshwara Hatcheries Limited went inside the underground septic tank to clean it. Only one worker survived and his condition is said to be stable.

According to police, initially, four workers went inside to clean septic tank and fainted inhaling poisonous gas. When they did not come out of the tank, another four went inside and met the same fate, reported Hindustan Times. It was then the security authorities and the local villagers rushed to the spot. While one of the workers died on the spot, the villagers pulled out seven workers in the unconscious state.

Three of the workers died on the way to hospital while three others died undergoing treatment. The deceased have been identified as Reddappa, Ramachandra, Kesava, Ramesh, Govinda Swamy, Babu and Venkat Raju. After initial probe, the police said it appeared that the sanitation supervisor of the hatcheries couldn’t assess the situation in the septic tank before sending the workers inside.

A case of causing deaths by negligence has been registered. The plant manager is absconding. Andhra Pradesh Health Minister Dr Kamineni Srinivas assured to extend all possible assistance to the families of the victims.