Also Read - Underworld Don Dawood Ibrahim Involved in Kerala Gold Smuggling Racket? NIA Suspects D-Company Link

Thane (Maharashtra), Nov 28: A youth from Maharashtra, who joined the terror group Islamic State (IS) in Iraq, Friday returned home to India and was being questioned by intelligence agencies. Arif Majeed, hailing from Kalyan town, arrived by a flight via Turkey around 5.15 a.m. Friday. He was immediately whisked away by intelligence officials to an undisclosed location. Also Read - Bhima Koregaon Case: Tribal Activist Stan Swamy Sent To Jail Till October 23, Chargesheet Filed Against 7

Majeed went “missing” in May along with three other Thane youths – Shahim Tanki, Aman Tandel and Fahad Shaikh. Later, their families living in and around Kalyan and police came to know that they had reportedly sneaked into Iraq and joined the IS ranks. Also Read - Bhima Koregaon Case: NIA Files Charge-Sheet Against 8 People Including DU Professor, Activist Stan Swamy

Maharashtra ATS, which had earlier questioned the family members of the youths, is also in touch with the NIA over the return of Arif to Mumbai, sources said. According to police, the four engineering students flew to Baghdad on May 23 as part of a group of 22 pilgrims to visit religious shrines in Iraq. (Watch: ISIS Militant Having Sex with Donkey Video Fake or Real?)

The next day, Arif had called his family from Baghdad and apologised for having left without informing them. Upon returning to India, other pilgrims had told the police that, Arif, Fahad, Aman and Saheen had hired a taxi to Fallujah, a city west of Baghdad which had emerged as the epicentre of Iraq’s deadly insurgency.

“On August 26, Tanki called up Arif’s family and told them that their son had become a “martyr” claiming that the latter died fighting for ISIS in Syria,” a family friend Ateek Khan had told reporters.

Accordingly the next day, Arif’s family performed ‘Janaza-e-gayabana’ (prayers for the departed soul in absence of the body) in Kalyan. Recently, Arif’s father Ejaz Majeed had reportedly met the NIA and told them his son had fled from the IS-controlled areas to Turkey after fighting for the militant group for nearly three months and wants to return to India.