New Delhi: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday said that the government is committed to complete the National Register of Citizens (NRC) process within the stipulated time. The statement came after the Supreme Court pulled up the Centre over the Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) process and said it is hell-bent on not allowing the work to continue.

Talking to news agency ANI, he said that the government will ensure that neither any Indian national’s name is excluded nor any foreigner’s name included in the Final NRC.

A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi said the Centre is not cooperating in the NRC process and it seems the entire effort of the MHA is to destroy the NRC process.

The apex court asked the Election Commission to consider exempting certain state officers from election duty to ensure that the NRC process continues.

On January 24, the top court had said that the exercise of making the final report of NRC in Assam had to be completed by July 31, 2019 deadline.

The Assam government had approached the court and sought an extension of the deadline of the claims and objections window beyond December 15. The state government had asked for the extension of the deadline as only 10 lakh people out of the total 40 lakh excluded had been able to submit applications for the inclusion of their names in the final list.

In past, many political parties had cornered the government on this issue. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had been extremely vocal about her displeasure with the NRC and has alleged discrimination in the draft in Assam, saying only Biharis and Bengalis’ names have been removed from the list. Early last month, speaking at Hindi Mahotsav and Samman Samaroh, she had asserted that such a thing neither happened or will happen in West Bengal.