New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday pulled up the Centre over the Assam National Register of Citizens (NRC) process and said it is hell bent on not allowing the work to continue.

The top court rapped Ministry of Home Affairs for its plea seeking to stall the NRC work for two weeks keeping in mind the role of Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) in the election duty.

Reiterating that July 31 deadline for the completion of NRC exercise will not be extended, a bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi said the Centre is not cooperating in the NRC process and it seems the entire effort of the MHA is to destroy the NRC process.

The apex court asked the Election Commission to consider exempting certain state officers from election duty to ensure that NRC process continues.

On January 24, the top court had said that the exercise of making the final report of NRC in Assam had to be completed by July 31, 2019 deadline.

The top court had then said that the upcoming general election and exercise of NRC should not be affected and asked the competent authorities to sit together to plan them. It also asked the Assam chief secretary, secretary of Election Commission and the NRC coordinator in the state to hold a meeting to decide how the officials have to be accommodated for the two exercises.

Earlier, the apex court had extended the last date of filing claims and objections for the inclusion of names in the draft NRC from December 15 to December 31, 2018.

The Assam government had approached the court and sought an extension of the deadline of the claims and objections window beyond December 15. The state government had asked for the extension of the deadline as only 10 lakh people out of the total 40 lakh excluded had been able to submit applications for the inclusion of their names in the final list.