Lucknow: The Centre’s decision to move the Supreme Court seeking permission to return excess land acquired in Ayodhya to Ram Janmabhoomi Nyas has riled Nirmohi Akhara, a party in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri mosque title suit. The Akhara has said it would challenge the move if the government does not clarify its objective, said a report on Wednesday. (Also read: ‘Whatever Legal Measure is Required to Build Temple, Centre Will Try,’ Says Javadekar)
“If the government takes the land without telling the purpose, we will challenge the move in the court. Nirmohi Akhara’s land also falls in that undisputed area, and that part should be given back to us. We have not taken compensation against the acquisition of that land. There was Sumitra Bhawan, Saligram Mandir, Sankatmochan Mandir and a Katha Pandap which were demolished after the acquisition,” Mahant Ram Das of Nirmohi Akhara was quoted by a leading daily as saying.
“The government was supposed to take all the parties (in the case) into confidence before making the move. But no discussion was done with us,” he said.
The high court had ordered division of the disputed 2.77 acres of the Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi site among the Nirmohi Akhara sect, Sunni Central Wakf Board, UP, and Ramlalla.
“The Government of India can take that land back, but the question is that the land will be used for what purpose? For any government plan or to give that land to somebody? Temples are built by sants, Nyas or a trust. The Government does not have the power to build a temple,” Ram Das said.
He said the land was acquired under Ayodhya Act with a proposal to develop a temple, a mosque, a school and some public utilities.
Meanwhile, Iqbal Ansari, whose father late Hashim Ansari was the oldest litigant in the Babri Masjid-Ram Janmabhoomi title suit, said he had no objection to the Centre’s move. “The Government had already acquired that land…Our case is for Babri mosque that is pending in the Supreme Court,” he said.