New Delhi, Jan 8: In yet another tragic incident, three sanitation workers died due to asphyxiation while cleaning a sewage treatment plant in Bengaluru. Preliminary report stated that an apartment association had hired a private contractor to clean the manhole after a blockage was reported. Also Read - Smart City Index 2020: Indian Cities Drop in Global Smart City Index; Singapore On Top
The contractor had sent a team of workers to clean the manhole and during the cleaning process one worker entered the 10-ft deep manhole and slipped. Two more workers entered the manhole to rescue him but they too met with the same fate. Also Read - Before Reporting For Duty, This Bengaluru Cop Teaches Children of Migrant Workers Everyday For An Hour
All the three workers reportedly struck by some poisonous gas inside the manhole and collapsed due to suffocation. Police and fire service officials reached the spot immediately and recovered the bodies of all three workers. Also Read - Bengaluru: Dunzo, Rapido Delivery Boys Arrested For Supplying Marijuana, Synthetic Drugs
Deputy Commissioner of Police, South East Bengaluru, Boralingaiah said a case had been registered against the apartment owners’ association who hired the three sanitation workers to clean the tank. Bengaluru Development Minister K J George, city Mayor R Sampath Raj and civic body BBMP commissioner N Manjunath Prasad also visited the spot.
Expressing disappointment over the incident, Mayor R Sampath Raj said that despite so many equipments being available for the sewage treatment, people are still using labourers.