Saharsa (Bihar): Just a few days after 34 Supaul schoolgirls were beaten up for resisting sexual advances and “lewd” remarks, as many as 36 girls of a Saharsa school in Bihar sought held from Chief Minister Nitish Kumar due to the harassment they face on their way to school. The girls have even dropped out of the school for the fear of eve-teasing. The incident has been reported from Ekpadhaha village under Simri Bakktiyarpur police station in Saharsa.

The latest incident of eve-teasing was reported on October 4 when two girls, who were on their way to the school, were stopped by some men. The men stopped the girls and assaulted them. When some boys, including one of the victim’s brothers, came over to rescue them, the accused thrashed them mercilessly and later ran away. One of the boys returned home with a fractured hand.

“They would hurl abuses, pass on lewd comments and sing obscene Bhojpuri songs. It was very depressing for me,” one of the victims told Aaj Tak. The girls didn’t share their ordeal with anyone for the fear of being dropped from the school and when they did, the elders of the village asked them to drop out.

The incident has come a few days after as many as 34 girls of a residential school in Bihar were attacked by a mob, including women, for resisting sexual advances of some of the accused boys. The miscreants allegedly barged into the Kasturba Awasiya Balika Vidyalaya in Bihar’s Supaul on Saturday evening with the intention of molesting the girls and manhandled the teachers. Parents of the boys were part of the mob.

The attack took place a day after some of the girls asked a boy, identified as Mohan, to not write obscene words on the walls of the school. “Girls used to go to a playground nearby, some boys used to write obscene words on walls. Girls used to rub it off. This was happening since 2-4 days,”  Darbhanga zonal IG said.

On the day of the incident, some of the girls caught some of the boys sneaking into the school and asked them to leave. When the boys refused and misbehaved with them, the girls beat them up in self-defense. After about two hours, the boys returned with their parents and relatives and barged into the school. Locals said that the school has no security guards.