Patna, Oct 28: Polling for the third phase of the Bihar assembly elections began on Wednesday. The election is conducted on 50 assembly segments spread over six districts – Saran, Vaishali, Nalanda, Patna, Bhojpur and Buxar. The region is geographically located in western part of the state and is partially affected by left-wing extremism. A total of 1.45 crore voters will seal the fate of 808 candidates. The contest is mostly a bipolar battle between National Democratic Alliance led by BJP and the Mahagathbandhan comprising of Congress, JD(U) and RJD.
According to Additional Electoral Officer R Lakshamanan, 1,107 companies of Central Para Military Forces and state police have been deployed to ensure thew electoral process goes underway without hindrance. (ALSO READ: Doordarshan rolls out special programmes for Bihar elections)
Essential points to be known:
– Voting begins on 7 AM. In 10 constituencies, it will be discontinued at 4 PM, whereas the remaining assembly segments it will continue till 5 PM. The ten seats where the electoral process would halt early are affected by left-wing extremism.
– A total of 808 candidates are contesting on the 50 seats combined. However, only 71 of them are women.
– 8 assembly segments are declared as Scheduled Caste (SC) only. They are: Garkha, Raja Pakar, Patepur, Rajgir, Phulwari, Musaurhi, Agiaon, Rajpur.
– Election Commission has marked 14,170 polling stations as active in the region. 6,747 have been declared as critical and 1,909 as facing the threat from Maoist cadres.
– Within the NDA, BJP will contest on maximum seats by placing its candidates on 34 of the 50 seats. Ally Ram Vilas Paswan’s Lok Janshakti Party will fight on 10 assembly segments, whereas Upendra Kushwhawa’ RLSP will contest 2. Former Chief Minister Jitan Ram Manjhi will field candidates on 3 seats.
– From the Mahagathbhandhan, Lalu Prasad Yadav’s RJD will contest on the maximum number of seats by fielding its candidates on 25 assembly segments. JD(U) will fight on 18 seats, whereas 7 constituencies have been left for the Congress.
2010 election results from the same region:
In the previous assembly elections, the combination of BJP-JD(U) bagged 43 seats, whereas the remaining 7 were won by RJD.
BJP – 20
RJD – 07
Congress – 00
LJP – 00
Key electoral facts:
– The district of Saran comprising of 10 assembly segments is considered to be the stronghold of Lalu Prasad Yadav.
– Tej Pratap Yadav and Tejaswi Yadav, the two sons of Lalu will be contesting from Mahua and Raghopur in Vaishali district.
– Veteran BJP leader and face of its OBC unit, Nand Kishore Yadav will be contesting from Patna Sahib constituency.
Complete list of candidates constituency wise:
|Ekma||Manoranjan Singh||JDU||Kameshwar Singh||BJP|
|Manjhi||Vijay Shankar Dubey||INC||Keshav Singh||LJP|
|Baniapur||Kedar Nath Singh||RJD||Tarkeshwar Singh||BJP|
|Taraiya||Mudrika Prasad Roy||RJD||Janak Singh||BJP|
|Marhaura||Jitendra Kumar Rai||RJD||Lal Babu Ray||BJP|
|Chapra||Randhir Kumar Singh||RJD||C.N Gupta||BJP|
|Garkha||Muneshwar Chaudhary||RJD||Gyanchand Manjhi||BJP|
|Amnour||Krishnan Kumar Mantoo||JDU||Shatrudhan Tiwari||BJP|
|Parsa||Chandrika Rai||RJD||Chotelal Rai||LJP|
|Sonpur||Ramanuj Prasad||RJD||Vinay Kumar Singh||BJP|
|Hajipur||Jagannath Prasad Rai||Congress||Avdhesh Singh||BJP|
|Lalganj||Vijay Kumar Shukla||JDU||Raj Kumar Sah||LJP|
|Vaishali||Raj Kishore Singh||JDU||Brishin Patel||HAM|
|Mahua||Tej Pratap Yadav||RJD||Ravindra Rai||HAM|
|Rajapakar||Shivchandra Ram||RJD||Ram Nath raman||LJP|
|Raghopur||Tejashwi Prasad Yadav||RJD||Satish Kumar||BJP|
|Mahnar||Umesh Singh Kushwaha||JDU||Dr. Achyutanand||BJP|
|Patepur||Prema Chaudhary||RJD||Mahendra Baitha||BJP|
|Asthawan||Jitendra Kumar||JDU||Chotelal Yadav||LJP|
|JDU||Dr. Sunil Kumar||BJP|
|Rajgir||Ravi Jyoti Kumar||JDU||Satyadeo Narayan Arya||BJP|
|Islampur||Chandrasen Prasad||JDU||Birendra Gope||BJP|
|Hilsa||Atri Muni Urph Shakti|
|Nalanda||Shravon Kumar||JDU||Kaushlendra Kumar||BJP|
|Harnaut||Hari Narayan Singh||JDU||Arun Kumar||LJP|
|Mokama||Neeraj Kumar||JDU||Kanhaiya Kumar Singh||LJP|
|Barh||Manoj Kumar||JDU||Gyanendra Kumar Singh||BJP|
|Bakhtiarpur||Aniruddh Kumar||RJD||Ranvijay Singh||BJP|
|Digha||Rajeev Ranjan Prasad||JDU||Sanjiv Chaurasia||BJP|
|Bankipur||Kumar Ashish||Congress||Nitin Naveen||BJP|
|Kumhrar||Aquil Haidar||Congress||Arun Kumar Sinha||BJP|
|Patna Sahib||Santosh Mehta||RJD||Nand Kishore Yadav||BJP|
|Fatuha||Ramanand Yadav||RJD||Satyendra Singh||LJP|
|Danapur||Rajkishore Yadav||RJD||Asha Devi||BJP|
|Maner||Bhai Virendra||RJD||Srikant Nirala||BJP|
|Phulwari||Shyam Rajak||JDU||Rajeshwar Manjhi||HAM|
|Masaurhi||Rekha Devi||RJD||Nutan Paswan||HAM|
|Paliganj||Jai Vardhan Yadav||RJD||Ram Janm Sharma||BJP|
|Sandesh||Arun Kumar||RJD||Sanjay Singh (Tiger)||BJP|
|Barhara||Saroj Yadav||RJD||Asha Devi||BJP|
|Arrah||Muhammad Nawaz Alam||RJD||Amrendra Pradap Singh||BJP|
|Agiaon||Prabhunath Prasad||JDU||Shivesh Kumar||BJP|
|Tarari||Akhilesh Prasad Singh||Congress||Gita Pandey||LJP|
|Jagdishpur||Ram Vishun Singh||RJD||Rakesh Raushan||RLSP|
|Shahpur||Rahul Tiwary||RJD||Visheswar Singh||BJP|
|Brahampur||Shambhunath Yadav||RJD||Vivek Thakur||BJP|
|Buxar||Sanjay Kumar Tiwari||INC||Pradeep Dubey||BJP|
|Dumraon||Dadan Yadav||JDU||Ram Bihari Singh||RLSP|
|Rajpur||Santosh Kumar Nirala||JDU||Vishwanath Ram||BJP|