New Delhi: M Nageswara Rao on Monday admitted that as interim chief of the Central Bureau of Investigation, he made a “mistake” in transferring former joint director A K Sharma investigating the Muzaffarpur shelter home case. Further, former Interim CBI Chief apologised to the Supreme Court saying he had no intention to circumvent its orders. Also Read - Bihar IAS Officer Accused of Physical And Mental Torture by Wife
“I sincerely realise my mistake and while tendering my unqualified and unconditional apology, I specially state I have not wilfully violated the order of this court as I cannot even dream of violating or circumventing order of this court,” he wrote in the apology. Also Read - All COVID-19 Deaths to be Certified: Centre Tells Supreme Court on 'Unaccounted' Fatalities
Rao, who filed an affidavit in response to a contempt notice issued to him on February 7, said he was praying for an unconditional and unqualified apology by the apex court. (Are These Children Second Class Citizens of India, SC Rebukes Bihar Govt Over Its Inaction) Also Read - Can't Pay Rs 4 Lakh Compensation For COVID Victims & Exhaust All Disaster Funds: Centre Tells Supreme Court
On February 7, the top Court transferred the trial of Muzaffarpur shelter home case from Bihar’s Patna to the national capital’s Saket POCSO Court. Further, the top court ordered the Delhi court to commence the trial within two weeks and ordered it to conclude the proceeding in six months time.
Further,Chief Justice of India (CJI) Ranjan Gogoi wanted to know why the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) officer probing the case, was transferred despite the SC’s order against it. “Was cabinet committee which transferred him informed of Supreme Court embargo?,” asked CJI saying it amounts to violation of its order, while rapping the investigating agency for the same.
“Enough is enough. We will ask Bihar Chief Secretary to appear before us. Get someone here who is conversed to what is happening in the state. You can’t let your officers to treat unfortunate children like this. Spare the children” the CJI said.
Notably, over 30 girls and women were allegedly raped and sexually abused at an NGO-run shelter home in Muzaffarpur. The issue came to light in May last year following a report by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS). An FIR was lodged on May 31 against 11 people , including Brajesh Thakur, who was running the shelter home. The probe into the case was later handed over to the CBI.