New Delhi: Complying with the state’s High Court order, the Uttarakhand government has now postponed the Char Dham Yatra with immediate effect till further orders. With this, the proposed Yatra which was scheduled to begin from July 1 stands cancelled.Also Read - Extremely Rare Carnivorous Plant Species Found For The First Time In Uttarakhand

The development comes hours after the Uttarakhand government, despite the High Court’s order against holding Char Dham Yatra this year, made a fresh announcement stating that the pilgrimage will begin from July 1. The government had also issued a fresh set of COVID guidelines making COVID negative reports mandatory for pilgrims. Also Read - Mountains and Waterfalls: Explore These Three Exotic Escapades From Dehradun This Weekend

“The first phase of the yatra will begin from July 1, while the second phase will commence from July 11; COVID negative report to be mandatory”, the govt had said in an order. Also Read - Triyuginarayan Temple in Uttarakhand: A Perfect Destination For Wedding in The Himalayas

Earlier on June 25, the State Cabinet had decided to partially open the Char Dham yatra for locals in limited numbers from July 1. Initially, it was decided, the yatra would be opened for residents of Chamoli, Uttarkashi, and Rudraprayag districts with a cap on the number of pilgrims to visit the temples daily.

The state government had said that it would be issuing guidelines for the pilgrimage for people from three districts. Government spokesperson Subodh Uniyal informed the three districts from where pilgrims were allowed were Chamoli, Uttarkashi, and Rudraprayag.

The four pilgrimage sites in Uttarakhand are Badrinath, Kedarnath, Yamunotri, and Gangotri.