New Delhi: Congress central leadership on Sunday named Charanjit Singh Channi as the new Chief Minister of Punjab, a day after Captain Amarinder Singh resigned from the top post. Senior party leader Harish Rawat took to Twitter and wrote, “Charanjit Singh Channi has been unanimously elected as the Leader of the Congress Legislature Party of Punjab.”Also Read - Bigg Boss 7 Fame Kamya Panjabi Breaks Silence on Joining Politics: 'Not Hungry For Power, Want to Work'
Also Read - Amarinder Singh Likely to Announce Launch of New Political Party ‘Punjab Lok Congress’ Today
Earlier today, reports had suggested that Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa’s name has been finalized by the grand old party for the top post. However, dismissing the reports, Randhawa said that he is not the chief ministerial face and the decision regarding the same would be announced shortly. “Not mine, don’t know who’s but it will be done for sure,” Congress leader Sukhjinder Singh Randhwa on whether he will be taking oath as Punjab CM today. Also Read - Breaking News Highlights: PM Modi An Incarnation of Almighty, Says UP Minister Upendra Tiwari
A minister in the outgoing Amarinder Singh cabinet, Channi’s selection assumes significance as the dissension-riven Congress faces the Assembly polls in less than five months. The BJP had earlier announced that if voted to power in Punjab, it will make a Dalit the chief minister, while the SAD, which is fighting the coming polls in alliance with the BSP, had said that its Deputy Chief Minister would be from the Dalit community.
Channi met the Punjab Governor and staked claim to form government, sources said, adding that Rawat and the party’s central observers Ajay Maken and Harish Chaudhary accompanied him. Amarinder Singh said he hopes that Channi is able to keep “the border state of Punjab safe”.
“My best wishes to Charanjit Singh Channi. I hope he”s able to keep the border state of Punjab safe and protect our people from the growing security threat from across the border,” he said.
Who Is Charanjit Singh Channi?
- Charanjit Singh Channi was the former Minister of Technical Educational & industrial Training in the Punjab government.
- He is the MLA from the Chamkaur Sahib Assembly Constituency.
- Previously, he was the leader of opposition in the Punjab Vidhan Sabha from 2015 to 2016.
- He succeeded Sunil Jakhar and was succeeded by H. S. Phoolka
- He belongs to the Ramdasia Sikh community and was appointed as cabinet minister in Capt. Amrinder Singh cabinet, Punjab on 16 March 2017 at the age of 47.
- 3rd time MLA from Chamkaur Sahib Consistency & Minister of “Technical Education & Industrial Training” in Amarinder Singh’s Cabinet.
- He was chief minister declared by congress incharge of punjab by Harish Rawat through a tweet on 19/09/201.
- He is first schedule caste chief minister declared by high command of congress.