Chennai: A contract worker at Tamil Nadu’s Rajiv Gandhi Government Hospital in Chennai was arrested for allegedly strangling a patient to death inside the hospital premises. The incident came to light after the body of the 41-year-old Covid-19 patient from the West Tambaram area was found days after she went missing from the hospital. After the incident came to light, the contract worker, Rathi Devi from Thiruvottiyur, confessed to the local police that she did this as she needed money and a cellphone.Also Read - Video: Dhanbad ADJ Killed By Auto, Police Launch Murder Probe | WATCH

The accused reportedly strangled the patient to death after taking her to the third floor of Tower 3 on a wheelchair and dumped the body on the eighth floor. After committing the crime, Rathi Devi then stole her money worth Rs 9,500 and her mobile phone, the police said. Also Read - Power Cuts Announced in Many Areas of Chennai, Suburbs Today; CHECK Full List of Areas Here

The patient, Sunitha, was admitted to the hospital on May 23 with coronavirus symptoms and mysteriously disappeared from her ward two days later. Upon finding her missing from the COVID ward, her husband Mouli informed the authorities and filed his wife’s ”missing complaint” with the police, a senior official said. And on June 8, her decomposed body was found on the eighth floor of the hospital building. Also Read - 62-year-old Man Shot Dead Outside Home in Delhi's Dwarka

“A decomposed body was found on the eighth floor of the RGGGH on June 8 and it was later identified to be that of the patient Sunitha, aged 41,” the senior police official said.

Following inquiries by the police, it was revealed that the patient was last seen wheeled away from the third floor by a woman contract worker at the hospital.

“The contract worker Rathi Devi, 40, of Thiruvottiyur, had taken the patient under the pretext to scan but allegedly strangled her to death. The body was dumped near the staircase. Rathi Devi was arrested today,” the police official said. The Flower Bazaar police recovered a mobile phone said to belong to the deceased woman from Rathi Devi.