New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will flag off the Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express through video conferencing at a function at Kanyakumari on Friday. It will leave Madurai at 2.30 PM, leave Kodaikkanal at 3 PM, leave Trichy at 4.37 PM and reach Chennai Egmore at 9.15 PM.
Apart from flagging off Tejas Express, PM Modi will also be laying the foundation stone for two major railway projects- one for the restoration of Rail Connectivity between Rameswaram and Dhanushkodi at a cost of Rs 208 crore and the other for the construction of a new bridge at Pamban Viaduct at a cost of Rs 250 crore.
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express: All you need to know
- The new Tejas Express, 22672/22671 will between Madurai and Chennai Egmore.
- It has a total of 15 coaches including one first AC executive chair car, 12 AC chair cars, and two generator cum luggage/brake vans.
- The Chennai Egmore – Madurai – Chennai Egmore Tejas Express will run six days a week, except on Thursdays and will commence from March 1 as per its timings.
- India’s first semi-high speed fully air-conditioned train would leave Egmore station at 6 am and would reach Madurai at 12.30 pm, that is, it’ll take a total of six hours.
- It will cover the 496 KM stretch. Reservations for the train are now open.
- The train will have two commercial stoppages at Tiruchirappalli and Kodaikanal Road junctions.
- Tejas Express’s primary maintenance and the Round Trip Brake Power Certificate (RBPC) – (the trains run round the clock and come in for a short maintenance service of two hours) will be under the control of Chennai Egmore station.
- The train has exclusive amenities like CCTV, Wi-Fi facilities, modular toilets and luxurious seats.
- Smart windows with motor-operated Venetian blinds, sliding coach doors, sealed vestibules/gangways for easy coach-to-coach transit and automatic passenger area entry doors are present.
- Tickets could cost around Rs 1,000 for a chair-car seat while an executive class seat will cost around Rs 2,000.