New Delhi: Soon after Union Minister for Social Justice Thaawarchand Gehlot said in Lok Sabha that the Centre will take appropriate steps following the Supreme Court‘s ruling on the reservation, Congress leader KC Venugopal on Monday said that the party will move a privilege motion against Gehlot for misleading Lok Sabha on the issue of reservation. Also Read - 'Supreme Court's Decision, We Have Nothing to do With it', Govt Clarifies as Opposition Corners it Over Order on Reservation
Accusing Gehlot of misleading Lok Sabha on the issue of reservation, Venugopal said one of the ministers has misled the House by saying that this situation has arrived because of the 2012 government. “We will definitely move a Privilege Motion against the minister,” he added. Also Read - Reservations in Job, Promotion Not Fundamental Rights, Rules Supreme Court
The statement from the Congress came after Gehlot attacked the Congress-led then Uttarakhand government in 2012 for snatching the rights of deprived sections through a decision on the matter.
The development comes after the Supreme Court in its verdict on February 7, on appeals seeking reservation for SCs/STs in promotions to Assistant Engineer (Civil) posts in the Uttarakhand Public Works Department, said that the quotas and reservation in promotions for government jobs is not a fundamental right.
While hearing the matter, the top court had said that it could not compel the states to provide quotas and that the states could not be forced to make such provisions without data showing an imbalance in the representation of certain communities in public services.
On the issues of reservation, Gehlot said that the central government was determined to ensure the welfare of Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs).
Gehlot called the top court’s ruling very important subject and said that the government is considering it at the highest level. He further said neither the Indian government was ever made a party nor asked for an affidavit in the matter.
The controversy erupted after he clarified that the matter cropped up after the then Uttarakhand government on November 5, 2012, decided not to allow reservations in promotions in the state, which was challenged in court. “There was a Congress government in Uttarakhand in 2012,” Thawar Chand Gehlot pointed out.
Following his remark, the Congress legislators staged a walkout after they were not allowed to speak following Gehlot’s statement. The apex court last week overturned a 2012 ruling by the Uttarakhand High Court that had directed the state to provide quotas to specified communities.