New Delhi: Saying that the country is between Stage 2 and 3 of the coronavirus pandemic, the officials of the Union Health Ministry of Monday said that the death toll due to the novel COVID-19 rose to 111 and the number of infections climbed to 4,281 across the country. As per updates, the country registered a record jump of 704 cases in the past 24 hours. Also Read - Corona Effect: Maoist Leaders in Odisha Announce Ceasefire, Urge State Govt to Help Them With Medicine, Basic Amenities
The Health Ministry officials further added that the active COVID-19 cases stood at 3,851, while 318 people were either cured or discharged and one had migrated. Latest updates indicated that 28 deaths were reported in the last 24 hours — 21 from Maharashtra, two each from Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu, and one each from Punjab, Gujarat and Uttar Pradesh. Here are top developments of the day on the pandemic that had claimed many lives across the country. Also Read - With 4281 Cases And 111 Deaths, India is Between Stage 2 And 3 of Coronavirus Pandemic, Says Govt
1) Addressing a press conference, the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) said that 1,01,068 samples have been tested for COVID-19 till 9 PM on Monday. Also Read - Telangana May Extend Coronavirus Lockdown Beyond April 14, Says CM K Chandrasekhar Rao
2) The Health Ministry updated that Maharashtra has reported the most coronavirus deaths at 45, followed by Gujarat (12), Madhya Pradesh (9), Telangana (7), Delhi (7), Punjab (6) and Tamil Nadu (5).
3) The Union Health Ministry further stated the COVID-19 is in localised community transmission stage with a large number of cases being found in some particular areas.
4) Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday addressed his cabinet ministers and told them to make plans for slowly exiting the ongoing lockdown and to contain the economic impact of the deadly virus pandemic.
5) Earlier in the day, PM Modi addressed his council of ministers in a video conference and asked them to prepare business continuity plans to fight the economic impact of COVID-19 on a war footing. He also asserted that this crisis is an opportunity to boost the ‘Make-in-India’ initiative and reduce dependence on other countries.
6) The Central government also announced a 30 per cent cut in salaries, allowances and pensions of all MPs for one year and a two-year suspension of their local area development funds worth nearly Rs 8,000 crore. In addition to pay cuts for MPs that include ministers, the Central government also said that President, Vice President, Prime Minister and state governors have also taken voluntary salary cuts to help fund the COVID-19 fight.
7) Prime Minister Narendra Modi and King of Bahrain Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa on Monday discussed the coronavirus crisis and its consequences on logistics chains and financial markets. PM Modi expressed his appreciation for the care and affection that the Bahrain authorities have always extended to the Indian diaspora.
8) On the other hand, the Supreme Court directed all lower courts across the country to extensively use video-conferencing for judicial proceedings saying congregation of lawyers and litigants must be suspended to maintain social distancing amid coronavirus pandemic.
9) Meanwhile, the Telangana government asked the Centre to consider extending the lockdown, while Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope said no one should be under the impression of complete lifting of lockdown in the state after April 15. On the other hand, the Assam government hinted at a permit system for people wanting to enter the state after the lockdown ends on April 14.
10) The MHA in a statement said that five villages in Haryana were sealed and all their residents quarantined after it was found that some foreign members of Tablighi Jamaat had stayed there. More than 25,500 Jamaat members and their contacts have been quarantined across the country.
11) Addressing a press conference, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said the number of COVID-19 cases in the national capital has reached 523, out of which 330 are from the Nizamuddin centre of the Jamaat. He further said testing is being ramped up and his government has placed orders for one lakh testing kits to be used from Friday.
12) Indian Railways said it has converted 2,500 coaches into isolation wards, achieving half of its target of delivering 5000 such coaches in the first phase as part of its efforts to supplement the government’s measures to fight coronavirus.
13) The Odisha government on Monday made it mandatory for people to cover their face and mouth with a mask or cloth while venturing out of their houses in view of the coronavirus outbreak. Issuing an order, the Revenue and Disaster Management Department said it will come into effect from 7 AM on April 9 till further orders.
14) As per late-night updates, the first COVID-19 positive case was detected in Tripura. Chief Minister of Tripura Biplab Kumar Deb said that the patient is from Udaipur.
As per updates, more than 12.5 lakh have got infected by this deadly virus worldwide since its outbreak in China in December last year, while more than 70,000 have died including over 50,000 in Europe and more than 10,000 in the US.