New Delhi: A filipino man, who tested positive for coronavirus and later recovered, has died at a hospital in Mumbai, taking the death toll in India to eight on Monday. If reports are to be believed, the deceased patient was admitted to the Kasturba Hospital 10 days ago and post-recovery when he tested negative, moved to a private hospital where he succumbed late on Sunday. Also Read - Coronavirus in Gujarat: 14-month-old Toddler Dies of COVID-19 in Jamnagar

“The patient was a case of diabetes mellitus and asthma. He was admitted on March 13. He had developed acute renal failure and respiratory distress,” the Kasturba Hospital said in a statement. Also Read - New York Leads Coronavirus Death Toll With 731 Fatalties in 24 Hours



Earlier on Sunday, Gujarat, Bihar and Maharashtra reported a death each. Prior to that four people had lost their lives in Karnataka, Delhi, Maharashtra and Punjab. The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) said 18,383 samples have been tested till 10 am on Monday. Also Read - Rishabh Pant is Just 20 And Media Scrutinises Him so Much: Rohit Sharma to Yuvraj Singh During Instagram Chat Amid COVID-19 Lockdown

Meanwhile, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in India rose to 418 after Maharashtra, which is on the threshold of a ‘multiplication stage’ of the virus, registered biggest single-day spurt of positive cases. Among the new positive cases, 14 are from Mumbai and one from Pune.



“The new cases include 8 close contacts or family members of earlier positive cases and 4 with travel history to affected countries. This is the stage to exercise extreme precautions since we don’t want to enter from Phase II to Phase III at any cost,” Maharashtra Health Minister Rajesh Tope reiterated, urging people to strictly remain indoors as ‘isolation’ is the key to battling the COVID-19 virus spread.