New Delhi: About 94 new deaths from coronavirus have been reported from China’s Hubei province on Wednesday, taking the overall death toll to a staggering 1,110. In its daily update, Hubei’s health commission also confirmed another 1,638 new cases in the central province, where the outbreak emerged in December. Also Read - 'COVID-19': Coronavirs Gets Official Name From World Health Organisation
There are now more than 44,200 confirmed cases across China, based on previously released figures from the government. Also Read - Indian National Infected With Coronavirus In UAE, 8th Case in the Country
The virus was officially named “COVID-19” at a conference in Geneva held by the World Health Organization, where the body’s chief said countries had a chance of stopping its global spread. Also Read - Wuhan Virus: Interactive Map Shows Global Novel Coronavirus Spread in Real-time
Meanwhile, a video of a woman from Satara stuck in Wuhan is doing the rounds where she is seeking help. “Last week, the Indian government airlifted 700-800 people from here, but I and other 70-80 Indians are stranded in the city. The Indian government should make necessary arrangements to airlift us,” Ashini Avinash Patil said in the video appeal.
According to reports, Patil had submitted her passport with VFS Global for processing visa, but due to 2019-nCoV outbreak in Wuhan, all commercial operations have been suspended and her passport remains stuck with the VFS. Maharashtra government has taken up the case with the Centre. Congress leader Prithviraj Chavan has written a letter to external affairs minister S Jaishankar asking him to take necessary steps to help.
“She is running out of food and water. It is, therefore, necessary to arrange emergency travel documents and ensure her travel out of Wuhan. All the necessary transport arrangements will have to be made,” Chavan wrote in his letter to the EAM.
(With Agency Inputs)