New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his second special address to the nation within a week, announced a 21-day nationwide lockdown to stop the spread of novel coronavirus. However, he appealed to the people not to panic as all essential commodities like medicines and milk would be available during the shutdown period. Also Read - No Lockdown in Maharashtra But Stricter COVID Restrictions: 25 Wedding Guests, Govt Offices to Work at 15% Capacity | Full SOPs
“My fellow citizens, there is absolutely no need to panic. Essential commodities, medicines etc. would be available. Centre and various state governments will work in close coordination to ensure this. Together, we will fight COVID-19 and create a healthier India”, tweeted the Prime Minister, soon after his address to the nation. Also Read - How is Govt so Oblivious to Ground Reality: Delhi HC Raps Centre on Looming Oxygen Crisis
So what exactly will happen during the lockdown period, does it mean everything will remain shut? Here are your answers Also Read - FYI: Essential Tips To Tackle Covid-19 At Home
What is Lockdown?
An emergency protocol that prevents people from leaving a given area is called a lockdown. Under a complete lockdown, people are asked to stay where they are and not exit or enter a building or the given area.
What will remain open?
1) Grocery stores- including ration shops, establishments selling food, , fruits, dairy, meat, fish will remain open.
2) Banks, insurance offices, and ATMs
4) Print and electronic media
5) Telecommunications, internet services, broadcasting and cable services. IT and IT enabled services only (for essential services) and as fas as possible to work from home.
6) Delivery of all essential goods including food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment through E-commerce.
7) Petrol pumps
8) Capital and debt market services
What will remain shut?
All state government offices except
2)Home guards, civil defence
3) Fire and emergency services
6) District admin and treasury
7) Municipal bodies