New Delhi: With the number of confirmed coronavirus cases crossing 1,000-mark and the death toll reaching 27, the Central government on Sunday ordered sealing of all state and district borders to check the community transmission of the deadly virus by migrant workers. Also Read - China's Coronavirus-hit Hubei Province Begins Domestic Flights
In the national capital alone, 23 fresh positive cases were reported on Sunday, taking its total count to 72, while more people tested positive in Noida, Maharashtra and Bihar, among other states. Also Read - COVID-19: Pakistan Says Situation Under Control as Coronavirus Cases Rise to 1,526
In a late-night update, a Colonel-rank doctor serving at the Command Hospital in Kolkata and a JCO posted at an Army base in Dehradun were tested positive for the coronavirus. Also Read - Coronavirus: Maharashtra's COVID-19 Death Toll Rises to 8, Positive Cases Cross 200
Here are the top developments of the day on the virus that has scared everyone across the country.
1) In his ‘Mann Ki Baat’ radio broadcast, Prime Minister Narendra Modi people’s forgiveness for the hardships caused by the stringent nationwide lockdown, and said it was necessary because the country was fighting a battle between life and death.
2) PM Modi, however, expressed confidence that the nation will definitely win the battle against the coronavirus pandemic. He also praised the front-line workers in this fight against as well as countless workers delivering the essential services.
3) Giving a late-night update, the Union Health Ministry said the death toll due to COVID-19 has risen to 27 and the total number of positive cases has risen to 1,024. The number of active COVID-19 cases in the country was 901, while 95 people were either cured or discharged and one had migrated.
4) Issuing a fresh advisory, the Union Home Ministry allowed the transportation of all essential and non-essential goods in the country and the use of the State Disaster Response Funds (SDRF) to provide shelter to migrant workers and the homeless stranded due to the lockdown imposed to combat COVID-19.
5) Union Minister Jitendra Singh on Sunday said that the cargo flights will be used exclusively for transporting medical equipment and emergency goods, besides other essential items to the northeastern states.
6) Addressing press conferences, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and Maharashtra CM Uddhav Thackeray, among other state CMs, asked migrant workers in their respective states to stay put and promised them food and other basic amenities.
7) On Sunday again, hundreds of migrant workers were seen gathering near the Anand Vihar terminus near the Delhi-UP border, hoping to board buses to their villages but they were turned back by police.
8) Not to make migrant workers go hungry, charitable organisations, volunteers, religious institutions and government bodies, including Railway Protection Force, fed tens of thousands of people across the nation.
9) Worried over such movements of migrant workers that might cause community spread, the Centre on Sunday issued fresh guidelines and asked state governments and Union Territory administrations to effectively seal all state and district borders and said those having already left be quarantined for 14 days.
10) On the other hand, the Indian Railways said it will now run special trains of parcel vans to ferry essential commodities to local markets.
11) In another development, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi also wrote to PM Modi, saying the sudden lockdown has created immense panic and confusion. The Congress leader also urged PM Modi to take some crucial steps other than a total lockdown.
12) To step up further measures, the PMO constituted 11 different high-level committees to suggest measures to ramp up healthcare, put the economy back on track and reduce misery of people as quickly as possible post the 21-day lockdown period.