COVID-19 India Updates: A total of 28,637 COVID-19 cases and 551 deaths have been reported in India in the last 24 hours. The tally of total positive cases stands at 8,49,553, including 2,92,258 active cases, 5,34,621 cured/discharged/migrated 22,674 deaths. Also Read - Vaccine Is Life-Saving Drug, Not A Sprinkling Promise: Kamal Haasan
Here are the top developments Also Read - US FDA Approves Remdesivir as First Drug to Treat Coronavirus
1. Bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachhan tested COVID-19 positive on Saturday evening and was taken to the hospital. His condition was stable. Abhishek Bachhan too tested positive. Also Read - Fact Check: Viral 'Asur' Idol is Not Modelled After Chinese Prez Xi Jinping, But Inspired From Mongolians
2. It is the ninth consecutive day on Sunday that COVID-19 cases in the country increased by more than 22,000.
3. Several states are bracing for a complete lockdown, while several others are up for mini-lockdowns,
4. From July 13, a two-phase lockdown will commence in Pune. From July 14, Bengaluru will go under a complete lockdown for a week.
5. People going out of Rajasthan will have to obtain passes from authorities, the state government said in an order on Saturday night as it decided to regulate inter-state movement in view of a surge in COVID-19 cases.
6. Assam, Arunachal, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Meghalaya have also announced local lockdowns.
7. On Saturday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi took a stock of the COVID-19 situation and emphasised on the continuation of the practice of social distancing and personal hygiene.
8. The Prime Minister had lauded the Centre-state combined approach of the Delhi model of COVID-19 combat.
9. Ahmedabad’s “successful example” of surveillance and home-based care through ‘Dhanvantri Rath’ also received accolades in PM’s review meeting.
10. Karnataka is now among the five worst-hit COVID-19 states in India. It has surpassed Uttar Pradesh.