New Delhi: The impact of Cyclone Fani, which is expected to make a landfall in Odisha between 8-11 am on Friday has started. “In the morning at 6:31 AM it was 70 km south-southwest of Puri, it is moving now,”said HR Biswas, Director, Met Dept, Bhubaneswar. Notably, Cyclone Fani is listed to be the most severe storm since the 1999 Super Cyclone that claimed lives of nearly 10,000 people.
“The impact of landfall process has started. Fani will make a landfall between 8-11 am. In the morning at 6:31 AM it was 70 km south-southwest of Puri, it is moving now,” ANI quoted Biswas as saying.
The Cyclone Warning Division of the India Meteorological Department said the wind speed of the Extremely Severe Cyclone Fani could reach 200-230 kilometres when it makes the landfall. The storm is set to affect Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal. People residing in the states must keep these precautionary steps in mind to avoid untoward incidents
Things to keep in mind before storm makes landfall
- Stay updated via Radio, Mobile and TV
- Stay away from rumours, do not panic, stay calm.
- Small first aid kit must be ready in case of any emergency
- Keep a list of emergency phone numbers on display.
Things to keep in mind during storm
- Turn off all electricity, gas and water
- Unplug all electrical appliances.
- Keep your emergency kit close at hand.
- If the building starts to collapse, protect yourself with mattresses, rugs
- Stay tuned to the radio for updates.
- Stay inside until told it is safe to go outside.
Things to keep in mind after storm
- Do not go outside until officially told it is safe.
- Check for gas leaks. Don’t use electric appliances if wet.
- Listen to local radio for official warnings and advice.
- If you have to evacuate, or did so earlier, don’t return until advised.
- Beware of damaged power lines, bridges, buildings, trees, and don’t enter floodwaters.
- Heed all warnings and don’t go sightseeing.