New Delhi: At least 10 people, including several media persons and a police constable, have been killed on Tuesday in the violent protests that began hours before United States President Donald Trump set foot in the national capital last evening. As many as 130 people have been injured. Also Read - As COVID-19 Cases Spike, Delhi Makes Wearing Masks Compulsory For Those Stepping Out of Houses

An enormous frenzy-like situation erupted in the northeast district of the national capital where stones were pelted, shops and vehicles were burnt, and life and property were damaged. Roads were blocked in areas including Jaffrabad, Bhajanpura, Maujpur, Chand Bagh and Karawal Nagar. Additional forces of the police and RAF have been deployed in Khajuri Khaas where Section 144 has been imposed to curb the atrocities. Also Read - Will Soon Find 'Sanjeevani' Against Coronavirus, Tweets Arvind Kejriwal; Wishes on Hanuman Jayanti



MHA Issues Advisory Also Read - Home Minister Has Asked States to Take Action Against People Involved in Hoarding, Black Marketing During Lockdown: MHA

The Home Ministry has issued a warning against any ‘anti-social elements’ in the national capital and urged people to refrain from provocative statements. He said that the borders with Haryana and Uttar Pradesh were being closely monitored so that no anti-social element takes advantage of the grievous situation.



“HM has appealed to all to desist from spreading rumours and said that political parties should cooperate with police to quell these rumours and dispel fear among the public. He also appealed to the public at large and media to communicate responsibly and avoid spreading rumours,” the statement read. The government deployed additional forces to bring the situation under control.

Not Enough Forces

The Delhi Police earlier today allegedly said that they did not have adequate forces to control the aggravating situation. The non-availability of forces was apparently conveyed by Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik during his meeting with the top brass of the Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). Patnaik had said that around 1,000 personnel of Delhi’s armed police were already deployed in the violence-hit areas.

The meeting was held after CM Kejriwal brought up the issue with Union Home Minister Amit Shah. “The police could not do anything because they were not getting orders from their seniors. I will raise this with Amit Ji. They can’t decide whether there should be tear-gassing or lathi-charging without orders from above,” he had said.

However, Delhi Police PRO MS Randhawa later denied any statements made by police officials. “I deny that there is any deficiency of the Police force. Sufficient forces have been deployed in the Northeast district. CRPF, RAF and additional resources of Delhi police are also active. 11 FIRs have been registered and few have been detained,” Randhawa said.

CM Kejriwal Meets Injured Patients

Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and his deputy Manish Sisodia paid a visit at Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) Hospital where the people who were injured in the violence have been admitted. “Hindus have been hurt, Muslims have been hurt – this situation is not advantageous. This is madness,” he said.

Earlier in the day, Kejriwal had called an urgent meeting of MLAs of his own party as well as the BJP to discuss the situation and work out solutions to ease the unrest.

The violent protests are an offshoot of face-offs between supporters and opponents of the controversial Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) which was introduced by the union government in December last year. Earlier, the government had alleged that violence in the national capital was “orchestrated” by some for publicity as it coincides with Trump’s visit to Delhi.