New Delhi, June 28: The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Thursday denied receiving any formal request for Congress President Rahul Gandhi to take the Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage. Also Read - Weather Update: IMD Predicts Heavy Rainfall For Karnataka on Wednesday, Issues Red Alert

In a statement to the media, MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar confirmed, “We have not received any formal request for Rahul Gandhi’s visit to Kailash Mansarovar Yatra.” Also Read - Bangalore Containment Zones: Total Count Surpasses 20,000-mark, South Zone Tops The List With 4,100 COVID Hotspots | Full List

However, the Congress reportedly claimed that the MEA has not responded to Rahul Gandhi’s application for special permission so far. The special permission is normally granted to the Members of Parliament (MPs) on request. Also Read - Under Treatment For COVID, Yediyurappa Says Will Get Back to Work After Recovery; Hospital Says CM Doing Fine

While addressing a rally, Rahul Gandhi had announced his decision on April 30 to undertake the Kailash Mansarovar Yatra after the Karnataka Assembly elections. While Rahul Gandhi was travelling to Karnataka in a chartered aircraft, a technical snag caused the aircraft to descend by 8000 feet. At that point, the idea to undertake the Yatra struck his mind, stated Gandhi.

The Kailash Mansarovar pilgrimage, which is a four-month travel period, has begun this year on June 8.

Ahead of the monsoon season, thousands of Indian pilgrims take part in the Yatra. The pilgrims travel through Nepal in the Tibetan Autonomous Region of China. The Indian pilgrims have to cross the Nathu La pass (which was opened to them in 2015) before being ferried to Kailash through Chinese transport facility.

The Ministry of External Affairs in cooperation with the government of the People’s Republic of China organise the tour from June to September every year. The two preferred routes are through the Lipulekh Pass in Uttarakhand and Nathu La Pass in Sikkim.

(With inputs from ANI)