Bengaluru, Feb 25: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully flew its Rustom 2, the first flight in user configuration with higher power engine, at its Aeronautical Test Range (ATR) in Chitradurga’s Chalakere in Karnataka. The step is being seen as a major push to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ‘Make in India’ plan.
An official statement by the DRDO read, “This flight assumes significance due to the fact that this is the first flight in user configuration with higher power engine. All parameters were normal.”
All you need to know:
- Rustom-2 comes approximately seven years after Rustom-1.
- It is on par with US drones in its category.
- Rustom-2 is a medium-altitude long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicle.
- It is comparable to the American made Predator drone and can fly for 24 hours at stretch.
- Rustom-2 can conduct sustained surveillance and can carry weapons along with surveillance equipment.
- It is the first flight in user configuration with higher power engine.
Secretary in Department of Defence (R&D) & Chairman DRDO Dr S Christopher, Director General of Aeronautical System Dr CP Ramanarayanan, DG Electronics & Communication Systems Ms J Manjula along with senior scientists witnessed the flight.