Damoh (MP): An eight-year-old boy, admitted at the district hospital in Damoh, Madhya Pradesh, has died after he was allegedly not given blood by the blood bank there. (Also read: Resident Doctors, Security at Nair Hospital Attacked by Patient’s Kin)
A relative told ANI on Wednesday, “We had submitted Rs 1,200, but they didn’t give us the blood. His mother went to people for blood but that also could not be arranged.”
The Civil Surgeon at the hospital, Dr Mamta Timori, said, “He was critical from the beginning. As per the investigation, he had severe anaemia. The doctor had referred him to another hospital. But they didn’t go there. I’ll have to inquire from the staff on duty at that time at the blood bank.”
Only last week, 20 children of Ramakrishna Mission School had to be hospitalised after they consumed mid-day meal in Tadepalli town of Guntur. They were rushed to a hospital when they complained of vomiting and lost consciousness allegedly after consuming the food.
Akshaya Patra Foundation, which runs a school lunch programme across the country, served rice, dal and curry to the students. According to the doctors, all children were later stable and no inquiry was initiated in the case.
A similar incident occurred in Hyderabad also when at least 40 children from Telangana Minority Residential School were admitted to hospital at once after consuming food from their hostel canteen.
The exact reason for their illness was not revealed but the symptoms showed a typical case of food poisoning.