New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Thursday took Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi into custody while several Congress leaders were stopped from marching to Rashtrapati Bhawan to show solidarity with protesting farmers in Delhi. The protest march was headed by Congress leader Rahul Gandhi with a memorandum to submit to President Ramnath Kovind that had over two crore signatures against the farm laws. Also Read - No Motorcycle Stunts, no Chief Guest: Several First Time Misses at Republic Day 2021

The Congress had planned a protest march from the party office at Akbar Road to Rashtrapati Bhawan, where Congress leaders were to meet President Ram Nath Kovind and hand over a memorandum signed by 2 crore farmers. Also Read - Republic Day: Rafale Jets to be Included in the Flypast for the First Time

However, the Delhi Police imposed section 144 CrPC around the Rashtrapati Bhawan today morning, including the Congress office, following which the protesting Congress leaders were detained and taken to Mandir Marg police station. Also Read - Nearly 600 Teaching and Non-teaching Staff in Mumbai Raise Voice Against Centre's New Education Policy

Terming the central government as ‘arrogant’, Priyanka Gandhi lashed out saying “it is doing only its own politics and has no respect for farmers and jawans”.

“Farmers need to be respected, it is a sin to brand them anti-nationals. It is the government’s responsibility to hear out the farmers and redress their grievances,” she said.

“Any dissenting voice against this government is classified as having elements of terror. We are undertaking this march to voice our support for the farmers,” the Congress leader further added.

Enacted in September, the three farm laws have been projected by the central government as major reforms in the agriculture sector that will remove the middlemen and allow farmers to sell anywhere in the country.

Security remained tight at the Delhi borders with hundreds of personnel deployed at Singhu, Ghazipur and Tikri as thousands of farmers have been staging their protests at the borders for nearly a month now.