New Delhi: The government of India has made FASTags mandatory for all vehicle owners in the country from January 15, 2020 onwards, stated a report. The deadline has been extended by the government from a previous deadline of December 15 on account of shortage of FASTag RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) stickers.
FASTags are electronic toll collection tags which should be attached to the windshields of the vehicles. The government had earlier warned that those vehicle owners who fail to attach these tags would have to pay penalties.
Only those drivers with FASTags attached to their vehicle’s windscreen will be able to pass through toll plazas easily, without stopping for payment. The toll fee amount will be automatically from the bank account linked to FASTag, stated a report. Direct toll payment is possible through FASTag as it is equipped with radio frequency identification (RFID) technology that ensures online payment even as the vehicle is moving.
Note that the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) will not accept cash payment as the government aims to make toll collection fully electronic. The purpose of introducing an e-toll connection device is to reduce the traffic at toll plazas, stated a report. Vehicle owners and drivers can buy FASTags online through Amazon.in or from various banks including SBI, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Paytm Payments Bank and Axis Bank.
Here are the steps to avail FASTag using Airtel Thanks App:
1. Download and login to Airtel Thanks App from the app store
2. Click on Discover Airtel Thanks on the Home Page
3. Click on Airtel Payments Bank FASTag banner in the reward section
4. Complete the journey and payment process
5. You will receive a cashback in your Airtel Payments Bank wallet/account post successful payment
6. Your vehicle Registration Certificate (RC) would be verified within 2 working days