Mumbai, June 19: At least three children died while around 40 people were hospitalised on Tuesday due to suspected food poisoning in Maharashtra’s Raigad district, PTI quoted police as saying.

According to Raigad Superintendent of Police Anil Paraskar, one of the villagers Subhash Mane had organised a house-warming party at Mahad village in Khalapur area last evening.

Soon after the dinner, few guests started complaining of uneasiness and started vomiting. The other villagers rushed them to a local hospital.

However, soon after, over 50 people, including children, arrived at the hospital with the same complaint. According to the police, some of them were even unconscious.

As their health condition deteriorated, all the victims were shifted to various hospitals in Raigad, Navi Mumbai and Mumbai, he said.

Three children — Kalyani Shingude (7), Rishikesh Shinde (12) and Pragati Shinde (13) – were declared dead before admission in one of the hospitals, the police official said.

Nearly 40 people, including children, were still being treated in 11 hospitals. Of them five are stated to be in a critical condition, he said.

“We have registered a case and will send the samples of the food served at the dinner to a forensic science laboratory and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for analysis,” the official said.

(With PTI inputs)