New Delhi: Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) Chief G Satheesh Reddy has been conferred with the prestigious Missile Systems Award 2019 for his leadership role in the Indian missile programmes by the globally-renowned American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
The society recognised Reddy’s contributions toward indigenous design, development and deployment of diversified strategic and tactical missile systems, guided weapons, advanced avionics, and navigation technologies in India.
Here are some of the other things to know about our DRDO Chief:
- Reddy is an alumnus of Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU) where he had graduated in Electronics and Communication Engineering.
- Reddy has made contributions towards the successful flight-testing of the Agni V— India’s first intercontinental ballistic missile mission.
- He is heading the Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex, which is the ‘Missile Hub of India’ and is also serving as the Programme Director of the Research Centre Imarat.
- He is the first Indian defence scientist to be bestowed with the fellowship of the Royal Institute of Navigation in London and also received a Silver Medal from the prestigious institute in 2015.
- He is also the Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- The DRDO Chief has also been conferred with awards like the Homi J Bhabha Memorial Award of the Indian Science Congress Association, National Systems Gold Medal, Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya Award of the Institution of Engineers (India), IETE BV Baliga Memorial Award for his contribution towards planning, design, development, production and timely delivery of critical avionics systems.
- Reddy is also the Secretary of the Department of Defence Research and Development (DDR&D) as well as the Director General of Missiles and Strategic Systems.
According to the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics’ press release, the Missile Systems Award recognises excellence in developing or implementing missile systems technology, including significant technological accomplishments or for inspired leadership of missile systems programs.