Ghazipur: A day after a police constable was killed in stone pelting by protesters while returning from the venue of a public meeting addressed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Uttar Pradesh’s Ghazipur, the police on Sunday arrested 19 people in connection with the incident.Also Read - UP To Get Three New Women Shelters And Children's Homes

“The death of Head Const. Suresh Pratap Singh Vats in Ghazipur in stone pelting is extremely tragic. So far 19 accused in 3 cases have been arrested, which include 11 in the case of murder.Strict action will b taken against those involved in violence under stringent sections of law (sic),” said DGP UP O P Singh. Also Read - Major Fire Breaks Out At Bhalswa Landfill Site, 12 Fire Tenders Rush To Spot | Details Here

The police have registered a FIR against 92 people, including 60 unnamed. “32 people have been named in the FIR. 60 unnamed people also mentioned in the FIR. A few people have also been arrested,” said MP Pathak, CO City, Ghazipur. Also Read - North Delhi Municipal Corporation Fined Rs 50 Lakh by Pollution Board. Here's Why

Meanwhile, the son of deceased constable Suresh Vats said that when police is not able to protect its own people, what can the public expect from them.

“Police is not being able to protect their own. What can we expect from them? What will we do with compensation now? Earlier, similar incidents took place in Bulandshahr and Pratapgarh,” he said.

Slamming the Yogi Adityanath-led Uttar Pradesh government over the incident, Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav said, “The incident has happened because of what the Chief Minister keeps on saying — ‘thok do’ (shoot them)… The truth is that whichever officer finds out he is going to be transferred, he carries out an encounter and ensures a continuation of postings.”

Superintendent of Police (Ghazipur) Yashveer Singh on Saturday said the protesters were workers from the Rashtriya Nishad Party who were prevented by the administration and the police from going to the rally venue.

When the Prime Minister had left Ghazipur, the party workers blocked traffic at various places and started pelting stones on the vehicles returning from the programme venue,” he told PTI.

Constable Suresh Vats (48) from Karimuddinpur police station was hit on the head by a stone when he went to end a traffic jam caused by the protests.

“He was immediately taken to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries,” the SP said.

He said about 15 party workers were detained. The police are trying to identify other protesters through the video footage of the incident.

The constable was from Raniganj in Pratapgarh district.

Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath announced a compensation of Rs 40 lakh for the wife of the dead constable and Rs 10 lakh for his parents, the state government said.

He also directed the district magistrate and the superintendent of police to take strict action against unruly elements and immediately arrest them.

The death comes less than a month after the killing of Inspector Subodh Kumar Singh, who was shot dead during mob violence in Bulandshahr district over alleged cow slaughter.

The man who allegedly shot the Bulandshahr inspector was arrested this week.

Modi had addressed a public meeting after laying the foundation stone for a medical college and releasing a postal stamp on Maharaj Suheldev.

He had left for Varanasi when the violence in Ghazipur took place.