New Delhi: In a harrowing accident, a Class 5 student of a private school in New Delhi died on Tuesday after she drank from a fellow schoolmate’s water bottle.

It was found later that the girl whose bottle the victim drank from, contained a toilet cleaning acid, which she mistook for water.

The incident happened during the lunch break, when Sanjana (single name), the victim was having her meal with a Class 4 student. When Sanjana felt thirsty, she asked if she could drink water from the other girl’s bottle.

According to report in The Hindustan Times, “When Sanjana consumed the liquid, she felt a burning sensation in her throat and started screaming. By the time the school staffers rushed to the classroom, Sanjana began throwing up and fell unconscious. The school administration informed Sanjana’s parents and rushed her to Guru Teg Bahadur hospital. She succumbed to internal injuries in the evening,” a police the officer said.

When the police spoke to the Class 4 student’s parents, it was learnt that the mother had kept a toilet cleaning acid in a similar container as the girl’s water bottle, which led to the confusion and the kid picked up the wrong bottle.

Deputy commissioner of police (northeast) Atul Kumar Thakur said that a case of death by negligence under Section 304A of the Indian Penal Code has been registered at the Harsh Vihar police station against unknown persons.