New Delhi, Oct 15: Fugitive Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) chief  Bimal Gurung has decided to enter Darjeeling yet again before October 30 deadline, claim intelligence agencies on Saturday. However, in a bid to make it difficult for the police to open fire, Gurung may use a human shield, says report.Also Read - Bucket List These Lesser-Known Road Trip Destinations to Explore With Your Squad This Friendship Day

“The GJM chief is desperate to make a public appearance in Darjeeling. He wants to tell the people that he has been made scapegoat because he was fighting for Gorkhaland. Gurung wants to don the “martyr image” before his arrest,” Times of India quoted intelligence sources. Also Read - Prashant Kishor's I-PAC Team Confined to Hotel in Agartala, Police Says 'Routine Check-up'

Gurung has been missing since August after the West Bengal government lodged cases against him under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act for his alleged involvement in several bomb blasts in Darjeeling and adjoining areas. The GJM is an ally of the ruling BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA). Also Read - India Unlocks: From Delhi To Karnataka, States Relax Covid Curbs: Check What's Allowed Where, What’s Not

Earlier on Saturday, Dipak Tamang was taken into police custody for his alleged involvement in the torching of the police vehicle on Friday. A sub-inspector was also killed and four other policemen were left injured during the search operation when alleged supporters of Gurung fired at them. Meanwhile, the GJM claimed three of its supporters were also killed in police firing.

Life came to a standstill for 104 days in Darjeeling and its neighbouring hills district Kalimpong after the GJM called an indefinite shutdown on June 12 to press for its demand for Gorkhaland. The shutdown was lifted on September 27, hours after Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh appealed to the GJM to call off the over three-month-long strike and invited them for talks to find an amicable solution to the issue.