New Delhi, July 27: The government has strongly denied media reports that China had resumed activity in the Doklam region. Trashing them as ‘incorrect’, it said, “the reference to Doklam was made by Congresswoman Anne Wagner in the form of a question posed to the senior state department official Alice Wells. Ms Wells, in her reply, made no reference to the situation in Doklam and said that India is vigorously defending its northern borders and this is a subject of concern to India.”
“I would reiterate that since the disengagement of Indian and Chinese border personnel in the Doklam area on August 28, 2017, there have been no new developments at the face-off site and its vicinity. The status quo prevails in this area,” a spokesperson was quoted as saying by a leading daily. (Also read: China Installs Unmanned Weather Observation Station Near Border)
Minister of State for External Affairs Ministry VK Singh told Rajya Sabha on Thursday that there had been no new developments at the site of the face-off with China in Doklam and its vicinity, and status quo prevailed in the area. In a written reply to a question on whether China had indeed built new roads in the southern part of the Doklam Plateau, Singh said, “Since the disengagement of Indian and Chinese border personnel in the Doklam area on August 28, 2017, there have been no new developments at the face-off site and its vicinity. The status quo prevails in this area.” Later, Ministry of External Affairs spokesman Raveesh Kumar also repeated Singh’s comments.
Tensions between India and China had peaked during a 73-day standoff in Doklam near Bhutan over Beijing’s construction of a road in the area. The standoff ended with both sides agreeing to disengage.