New Delhi: A fire broke out at a COVID-19 designated hospital in Gujarat’s Rajkot in the wee hours of Friday. At least five patients died in the fire, while another was critical.
Initially the fire broke out in the intensive care unit (ICU) of Shivanand General and Multi-specialty Trust Hospital in Sardar Nagar’s Mavadi. Later, the fire spread to other areas of the hospital. Also Read - Fire Breaks Out at Sun Mill Compound in Mumbai, no Casualties
Twenty eight other coronavirus patients undergoing treatment at the Shivanand Hospital were rescued, a fire brigade official said.
Thirty-three COVID patients were being treated at the hospital and seven of them were in the ICU.
“We rushed to the spot and rescued 30 patients after a call informing about the fire was received. Three patients died inside the ICU, while two died shortly thereafter,” an official said.
The fire was brought under control and rescued patients were shifted to other COVID-19 hospitals.
According to reports, the cause of the blaze is said to be a short circuit.
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has ordered an enquiry into the incident.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his deep pain over the loss of lives and said administration is ensuring all possible assistance to those affected.
“Extremely pained by the loss of lives due to a hospital fire in Rajkot. My thoughts are with those who lost their loved ones in this unfortunate tragedy. Praying for a quick recovery of the injured. The administration is ensuring all possible assistance to those affected,” the Prime Minister’s Office tweeted quoting PM Modi.