New Delhi: A 44-year-old man in Haryana suffered severe burn injuries after he accidentally spilled alcohol-based hand sanitiser while cleaning his household items, doctors said on Monday. Also Read - Coronavirus: Should Delhi Hospitals be Reserved For Residents Only? 40% For, 60% Against CM Arvind Kejriwal's Idea

The incident took place on Sunday night when the man was cleaning the kitchen area at the same time when his wife was cooking dinner. He was taken to the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in Delhi with 35 per cent burn injuries on his face, neck, front of chest, abdomen and both hands. Also Read - Mohammed Shami Confident of Getting Reverse Swing Despite Saliva Ban in Cricket Due to COVID-19



“The man was at home and cleaning his household items like keys and mobile phone. He was in the kitchen area when at the same time his wife was cooking food. Suddenly, he spilled some sanitiser on his ‘kurta’ (tunic). The fumes from the sanitiser reached the cooking gas source and before anybody could react his kurta caught fire,” the hospital said in a statement. Also Read - Coronavirus: With 2,287 New Cases Maharashtra at 72,300; Gujarat Reaches 17,632 With 415 Fresh Cases

He is being treated in the department of plastic and cosmetic surgery and his condition is “stable”, the doctors said.



Hand sanitiser is being used at regular intervals by people on recommendation of doctors to ward-off infection from coronavirus that has wreaked havoc globally.

According to Mahesh Mangal, Chairman, Department of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery, “Although hand sanitiser is absolutely essential, we strongly advise that alcohol-based sanitiser must be used very carefully.”

“The high ethyl alcohol content in the product – up to 62 per cent in some cases – makes hand sanitiser highly inflammable and prone to lead to burns. One should never use sanitiser near fire area or any heating place. It should be used in sufficient quantity and allowed to dry,” he added.

Demand for hand sanitiser has grown significantly in the market with the spread of COVID-19 that has affected more than 1,000 people across India.