New Delhi, Jul 9: Heavy rain have been lashing Mumbai, leaving large parts of the city waterlogged. The city will continue to receive heavy rainfall in the coming week. India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Sunday, July 8, issued a warning of “heavy to very heavy” rains for the next three days.Also Read - Maharashtra Reports First Case Of Zika Virus After Woman in Pune Tests Positive For Infection

Several roads were waterlogged as heavy rain continued to lash the city and the suburbs since last night. However, the trains have not been affected on the central lines. Skymet has predicted that the offshore trough extending along the West Coast will shower moderate to heavy rains over South Gujarat, Konkan and Goa, Coastal Karnataka and Kerala. Also Read - Karnataka Lockdown Update: Covid-19 Surveillance Guidelines Extended Till August 16, More Curbs Announced | Full Guidelines

Also Read - Centre Urges States to Impose Lockdown-like Restrictions in Districts Reporting Positivity Rate Above 10%

In the past 24 hours, monsoon remained vigorous over Vidarbha and along the West Coast. Nagpur recorded 282 mm of rainfall on Sunday. Nagpur was followed by Matheran with 194 mm, Mangalore 157 mm and Mahabaleshwar 151 mm. Areas that witnessed more rainfall were Chembur, Khar Subway, Santacruz – Chembur Link Road, and Palghar. Waterlogging was reported in some parts of the city and suburbs.

The IMD has also forecast heavy to very heavy rains in Mumbai and adjoining districts over the next 24-48 hours. While temperatures have dropped due to continuous rainfall, the onset of monsoon has disrupted routine life in pockets of Maharashtra.

Meanwhile, over 100 people stranded at a waterfall near Mumbai were rescued in a multi-agency operation. Nearly 120 people had gone for a picnic at the Chinchoti waterfall, located in the Tungareshwar hill range at Vasai in neighbouring Palghar district, around 75 km from Mumbai, and got stranded following a heavy downpour.

The local police, fire brigade, disaster management cell and National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel swung into action and rescued 97 people after they got information about picnickers being trapped at the tourist spot. The rescue operation was later called off after there was no report of any person stranded or missing in the area.