Coronavirus LIVE Updates: India has reported the highest single-day spike of 13,586 new COVID19 cases and 336 deaths in last 24 hours, taking the total tally to 3,80,532, including 1,63,248 active cases, 2,04,711 cured/discharged/migrated & 12,573 deaths. Of the 336 new deaths reported till Friday morning, 100 were in Maharashtra, 65 in Delhi, 49 in Tamil Nadu, 31 in Gujarat, 30 in Uttar Pradesh, 12 each in Karnataka and West Bengal, 10 in Rajasthan, six in Jammu and Kashmir, five in Punjab, four each in Haryana and Madhya Pradesh, three in Telangana, two in Andhra Pradesh and one each in Assam, Jharkhand and Kerala. Also Read - Assam Lockdown Update: Week-long 'Total Lockdown' in Jorhat City From July 9-15 | Movement of All Vehicles, Opening of Pvt & Govt Offices Barred
Here are the top developments Also Read - How Remdesivir Can Save Lives in Nations With Lower Hospital Capacity
1. Fresh lockdown is beginning in Chennai and other three districts of Tamil Nadu. Restrictions will continue till June 30 Also Read - Parenting in a Pandemic: Introduce Healthy Lifestyle to Your Child With These Simple Ways During COVID-19 Pandemic
2. China has reported 37 new coronavirus cases including 25 in Beijing where 183 patients are undergoing treatment, with the city implementing wartime measures to arrest the COVID-19 spread, health authorities said on Friday.
3. No new case of novel coronavirus was registered in Mizoram in the last 24 hours, government sources said on Friday. Aizawl is still under complete lockdown.
4. The Centre on Thursday pitched for a unified strategy for Delhi and its satellite cities to tackle the coronavirus pandemic
5. An expert committee decided the rates for COVID-19 beds and treatment in Delhi, and these would be applied in hospitals in the NCR cities after consultations.
6. Delhi’s Hindu Rao hospital: A 56-year-old staffer of civic-run Hindu Rao Hospital has died of COVID-19. He was suffering from diabetes. The hospital was recently declared a dedicated COVID-19 facility. 78 of the hospital tested positive so far.
7. The Union Health Ministry on Thursday revised to one week, against 14 days earlier, the quarantine period for doctors, nursing officers and other health workers with high-risk exposure to confirmed COVID-19 cases or respiratory specimens.
8. There is a need for cooperation between parents and school management for the proper education of children, said a director of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Thursday. His statement came amid growing discontent among parents of various private schools over, what they claim, irrational fees charged even during the outbreak of COVID-19.
9. A team of researchers at CSIR – Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB), Kolkata has explored the neuro-invasive potential of COVID-19 and suggested that the virus may infect the respiratory centre of the brain, a statement said.
10. India registered over 10,000 cases for the eighth day in a row.