New Delhi, October 12: The Himachal Pradesh Assembly elections will be held on November 9 and the result will be declared on December 18, the Election Commission announced on Thursday. The state is witnessing a direct contest between the Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party with both the parties sending their senior leaders for campaigning in the state.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has already sounded the poll bugle for the BJP in the state and party president Amit Shah addressing Hunkar rally. Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi also addressed a rally in the state on October 8.
After being criticised by various political parties, Chief Election Commissioner Achal Kumar Joti said Voter-verified paper audit trail (VVPATs) will be used along with the electronic voting machines (EVMs).
Here is all you need to know:
- We will have VVPATs along with EVMs in Himachal polls: CEC AK Jyoti
- Paper slips from VVPAT to be counted for one polling station each in all 68 constituencies of Himachal Pradesh: CEC
- Height of voting compartments will be increased to 30 inches: CEC
- Increased the size of screen on VVPAT machines to 10 cm by 5.6 cm for the voters to able to verify their vote easily: CEC
- 49.05 lakh voters will exercise their franchise in the election for 68-member Assembly
- 136 all women polling stations to be set up for Himachal Pradesh
- ECI has instructed states to facilitate differently abled voters: CEC
- Model code of conduct comes into force from now itself for Himachal Pradesh polls
- The Election Commission to use social media for better election management: CEC
- Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) activities will also focus on educating the voters regarding VVPAT: CEC
- Bulk SMSes and voice messages on phone shall also be in purview of election advertisements: EC
The term of the 68-member Himachal Pradesh Assembly ends on January 7.