New Delhi: A 17-year-old girl was allegedly raped and set ablaze by her stalker in Telangana’s Suryapet district last night. The girl, a class 12 student, was rushed to the Mahatma Gandhi Memorial (MGM) government hospital in Warangal, where she is currently battling for her life.Also Read - 'Hats Off,' Andhra CM Reddy Lauds 'Encounter Killings' in Telangana Rape, Murder Case

According to the police, the girl was alone at her house as her parents work as construction workers in Hyderabad. The accused, identified as 24-year-old Venkatesh, entered her house, allegedly sexually assaulted her, before pouring petrol on her and setting her afire. Also Read - Special Court to be Set up at Mahabubnagar District Court to Hear Telangana Rape & Murder Case

Venkatesh, say the police, was stalking her for the last two years and was asking her to marry him. She, however, rebuffed him as he is uneducated and works as an agricultural labourer in the same village. Also Read - Telangana Rape-Murder Case Brought Shame to Country, Ready to Make Law That Entire House Agrees to: Rajnath Singh

The victim and accused are both from Raghavapur village of Thirumalagiri block. After the incident, the girl came out screaming from her house. The blaze was immediately put out by the neighbours who rushed her to the hospital with the police’s help.

She is reported to have suffered over 50% burn injuries and said to be in ‘critical’ state. Her parents, who were informed of the incident by the police, reached Warangal to be by her side and have filed a complaint against the accused who is on the run.

Venkatesh has been booked under Section 307 (Attempt to murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), as well as relevant sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012, since the victim is a minor.

Last November, a 26-year-old veterinarian was gang-raped and murdered by four men near the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (RGIA) at Shamshabad in Hyderabad. Days later, the accused were gunned down by the police after they allegedly tried to flee from the crime spot where they had been taken to re-enact the crime scene.