Hyderabad: A massive fire broke out in a stall at the All India Industrial Exhibition (AIIE) in Hyderabad’s Nampally on Wednesday night. If reports are to be believed, the blaze started from near Vanitha Maha Vidyalaya (womens’ college at Nampally) around 9 PM and has gutted around 200 stalls at Numaish. Two persons – Rajkumar and Dilawar Hussain – have sustained superficial burn injuries.

Meanwhile, fire tenders are carrying out the firefighting operations. At least seven persons have been rushed to Osmania General Hospital after complaints of suffocation, while two are admitted to Care Hospital in Nampally.

The incident has resulted into panic followed by a stampede, local media reports claimed. No casualties have been reported as of yet. The cause of fire is said to be a short-circuit. However, no confirmation on the same has been received. Some Twitter users are claiming that a faulty transformer is the reason behind the incident.

Mayor Bonthu Rammohan and other top officials are present on the spot supervising the firefighting operation.

The incident has led to a chaos on the roads leading to Nampally. In the wake of this, the Hyderabad Metro Rail Limited has announced free transport to people from Nampally.

The annual AIIE is popularly known as Numaish. It features over 2,500 stalls and was inaugurated this year on New Year’s Day.

The event is expected to witness a footfall of as many as 25 lakh visitors this year. It will conclude on February 15.