New Delhi: Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman who underwent a medical checkup at Army’s Research and Referral (R&R) hospital in the national capital, was checked for bugs during an MRI scan, and declared clean by the doctors.Also Read - Assam Floods: Situation Remains Grim in 31 Districts; IAF Carrying Out Massive Rescue Ops | Top Points

The doctors did not find any bugs, said sources. As per ANI reports, the scan also showed that there is an injury in his lower spine which could have happened due to his ejection from his MiG-21 after aerial engagement with an F-16. Earlier in the day, the doctors found that a rib of Varthaman was injured due to “assault by Pakistani residents” after landing in Pakistan-administered Kashmir (PoK), news agency ANI quoted a source as saying. Also Read - IAF Group C Recruitment 2022: Apply For Lower Division Clerk Posts| Check Complete Details Here

The IAF Wing Commander also underwent medical tests at the Air Force Central Medical Establishment (AFCME), a compact and specialised medical evaluation centre for aircrew of all the three services. As per the officials, debriefing sessions will be arranged for him, once the health check-up phase is done. Also Read - Apple To Choose India, Vietnam Over China For Production Of iPhone, iPad, MacBook: Report

On Saturday, sources, as quoted by news agency ANI, claimed that Wing Commander Varthaman had informed the IAF officials that he went through a lot of mental harassment while he was in the custody of Pakistani authorities. Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and Air Chief Marshal B S Dhanoa met Varthaman separately on Saturday during which he apprised them about the mental trauma he was subjected to during his captivity in Pakistan.

Wing Commander Varthaman was held captive by Pakistani authorities on February 27 after his MiG 21 Bison went down during a dogfight with Pakistani jets. He was also manhandled by a crowd after he landed in a village in PoK.

Before his release, Varthaman was asked to record a statement on camera by Pakistani authorities, reports claimed. The video which was released by Pakistan government to the local media at 8:30 PM (local time) had several jump cuts indicating that it had been edited heavily, apparently to fit Pakistani propaganda.