Top Recommended Stories
Indian Air Force Gets Its First Woman Flight Engineer: All You Need to Know About Hina Jaiswal
She will be posted to a helicopter squadron where she will monitor and operate IAF’s complex aircraft
New Delhi: Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal from Chandigarh became the first female flight engineer to be inducted by the Indian Air Force (IAF). She will be posted to a helicopter squadron where she will monitor and operate IAF’s complex aircraft in various conditions, right from Siachen Glacier to Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
Speaking to news agency ANI, she said that since childhood, she had endeavoured to wear the soldier’s uniform and take on the skies as an aviator. Notably, the Flight Engineer branch was previously the domain of male genders and it was opened for women officers in 2018.
Indian Air Force inducts Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal as first woman flight engineer. She hails from Chandigarh&has completed her Bachelor of Engineering degree from Panjab University. As a Flight Engineer,she would subsequently be posted to operational helicopter units of IAF. pic.twitter.com/w6qtTyKVgC
— ANI (@ANI) February 15, 2019
Breaking the gender barrier, the Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat, had in 2017 announced that the process to offer combat roles to women was moving fast. In October 2015 the government took the decision to open the fighter stream for women too.
Here’s all you need to know about Hina Jaiswal
1. An alumna of Shishu Niketan Model Senior Secondary School, Jaiswal did her engineering in electronics from University Institute of Engineering and Technology (UIET), Panjab University.
2. She is the daughter of Anita Jaiswal, a homemaker, and DK Jaiswal, who recently retired from Principal Controller of Defence Accounts (PCDA), New Delhi.
3. Jaiswal is trained shoulder to shoulder with her male counterparts and displayed unflinching commitment, dedication, and perseverance.
4. Commissioned in the engineering branch of the IAF on January 5, Jaiswal has served as the chief of firing team and battery commander in a frontline surface to Air Missile squadron.
5. Earlier, Hina has served as Chief of firing team and battery commander in a frontline Surface to Air Missile squadron.
6. A Flight Engineer monitors and operates its complex aircraft systems requiring a specialised skill set.
7. In 2018, Flying Officer Avani Chaturvedi had scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman to fly a fighter aircraft solo — Russian made MiG-21 Bison.
8. Flying officer Bhawana Kanth was the second woman pilot of the Indian Air Force (IAF) to fly solo a fighter aircraft. She flew a MiG-21 “Bison” from Ambala Air Force Station.