New Delhi, May 24: The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation or IRCTC has introduced Vikalp scheme for passengers in the waiting lists. This scheme will now provide confirmed berths to the waitlisted passengers in alternate trains. The passengers, who have opted for this will have to choose maximum five trains irrespective of their booking quota or concessions. The passengers, however, should note that opting for a scheme doesn’t mean that berths in the alternate trains are reserved for them. The confirmation depends on the availability of the seats. Also Read - 'Corona Won't Have a Chance Bro'! Indian Railways Releases Anthem to Spread COVID-19 Awareness
Here’s everything you need to know about the Vikalp scheme: Also Read - Lockdown: IRCTC Suspends Bookings For Its 3 Trains Till April 30, Passengers to Get Full Refund
1. Depending on the availability, the Vikalp Scheme will provide berths to everyone. Quota will not matter here, the Vikalp scheme will have seats for all classes. Also Read - Only Patients, Students and People With Disabilities to Get Railway Concessions for Bookings as of Now
2. Under this scheme, the boarding/ termination stations and time may change. The passengers will have to check with the trains to know their boarding timings and stations.
3. No refund or extra charges apply under this scheme. The passengers who have booked seats in tatkal quota will also not be charged extra.
4. Under the Vikalp scheme, the passengers can opt for maximum five trains.
5. If the passengers’ berths are confirmed in the alternate trains, cancellation charges will apply as per usual rules.
6. Refund in case of the difference in the fares will be provided.
7. If the passengers have been given a berth in an alternate train, they will not be allowed to board the trains they had booked originally.
8. If a passenger cancels his/her berth in the alternate train, cancellation charges will apply accordingly.
9. If the passenger has not travelled in the alternate train, he/she can apply for a refund under TDR request.
10. The alternate train list, once made, will not be changed.