Srinagar: Pakistan violated ceasefire in Akhnoor sector early on Monday. The Indian army retaliated effectively, reported ANI, and the firing stopped in a few hours i.e; by 6.30 AM.

Meanwhile, the Centre has reportedly sanctioned an additional 400 bunkers for residents in Poonch and Rajouri districts of the state with 200 additional bunkers for each district. The decision comes in the wake of escalating tension between India and Pakistan and incidents of heightened cross-border shelling.

As per the prescribed specifications, the construction of the bunkers will be completed in a month’s duration. The Government has directed the officials concerned to ensure speedy construction. The funds for bunkers will be given to the District Collectors through the Rural Development Department.

Poonch and Rajouri have been witnessing border skirmishes which intensified after India’s ‘pre-emptive’ strikes on Jaish-e-Mohammed’s (JeM) terror camps at Balakot in Pakistan last week.

Pakistan has regularly been violating ceasefire despite all the international attention on the two countries following the Pulwama terror attack last month. A JeM terrorist rammed his explosive-laden vehicle into a CRPF convoy, killing 40 jawans and leaving many injured.

Meanwhile, Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed has released a statement rubbishing reports that its chief Masood Azhar was dead.

Besides JeM, Pakistan’s Geo Urdu News also dismissed the news of Azhar’s death and said that reports claiming JeM leader was dead were false. Quoting unnamed sources close to the family of the terrorist, the channel said ‘Azhar is alive’, without elaborating on his health condition.

However, there was no official word on Azhar’s death from the Pakistan government. “I don’t know anything at this moment,” Federal Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry told PTI when asked about media reports claiming the death of Azhar.