New Delhi, August 7: The security forces on Monday evening foiled a major infiltration bid in Kashmir’s Machil sector in Kupwara district and gunned down five terrorists along the Line of Control (LoC). The security forces also recovered heavy weapons from the slain terrorists who were allegedly trying to cross the border. The spot where the encounter took place is more than 110 km’s from Srinagar. Also Read - Despites Issues, Apple Growers in Kashmiri Get Double Rates as They Revive Old Market Chains

According to a report, the troops monitoring the LoC noticed some suspicious movement and immediately challenged the intruders. The security forces present at the spot shot down five intruders in the ensuing gunbattle. Security forces have recovered weapons from the scene. The identity and details of the terrorists are being determined. Also Read - Govt Asks Wikipedia to Remove Link that Shows Wrong Map of Jammu and Kashmir

Last month, in the same area, another infiltration attempt was foiled by the security forces in which four terrorists were gunned down. The Indian Army has launched combing and search operation in Pulwama district’s Pinglena village, following a tip off about a presence of terrorists. Also Read – Kashmir: Four militants shot dead as Army foils infiltration bid in Machil sector Also Read - Jammu And Kashmir: Pakistan Violates Ceasefire In Rajouri District, Army Jawan Martyred

Since last seven months, the Army has foiled around 22 infiltration bids along the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir, and 38 armed terrorists were eliminated in such operations.

Today’s encounter took place a day after the Jammu and Kashmir police confirmed Laskar-e-Taiba’s involvement in the Amarnath Yatra attack and arrested three people in connection with the case.

On Monday morning, a Lashkar-e-Taiba operative Umer was killed in an encounter with the security forces in Sambora area of the state. A report said that Umer was involved in different crimes committed by Abu Ismail group. The officials also recovered an AK 47 rifle from the encounter site. The CRPF, 50 Rashtriya Rifle and Awantipora Police jointly participated in the encounter.

The authorities on Monday morning blocked the internet services in Pulwama as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order in the district.